[ltp] FC3 wrongly mounted an NTFS partn for a FAT32 partn

Andreas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:29:39 +0100

Hello,

> I've been using that NTFS partn (/dev/hda6) for years and could not have
> mistaken about it's format.  Furthermore, fdisk of FC3 also reported it
> to be NTFS (requoted here):

fdisk reports only the type of the partition as recorded in the partition
table and this has nothing to do with the actual filesystem on it. You can
easily do "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda6" and fdisk will still tell you it's NTFS.
Since you can mount the partition have look at the output of "mount". It is
more reliable.

> But I am glad that after 3 yrs
> of not attempting to mount NTFS from Linux (terrible experience of
> searching the packages everywhere and scared by the warning about no
> guarantee for the NTFS data integrity), that now NTFS mounting seems to
> be a built-in feature of FC3, but not at the right time for me :)

If you mount NTFS read-only it should not give you any trouble and you don't
need any special tools for it. Writing is different and AFAIK you can only
overwrite files (without changing the length of the file), but perhaps my
information is outdated.

Wish you luck
 Andreas