[ltp] Thinkpad high pitched noise

chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:58:59 +1100

Hi list:

I think this issue has been discussed on this list before, but I can't recall
what specifically it was about. Just recently, I am getting increasing
annoyed at the high pitched noise that my thinkpad R50 emits while the CPU is
working over 1Ghz, I googled around and found out it is due to 2.6 kernel
which uses 1000Hz so makes capacitors work a lot harder? But I can't bear the
noise any more, replacing the thinkpad it's an option nor going back to 2.4
kernel, but changing process.c to 100hz can solve the problem according to
some threads, does it slow down the computer or harm the laptop? any one?