[ltp] Thinkpad high pitched noise

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:05:49 -0600

chris wrote:

>Hi list:
>
>I think this issue has been discussed on this list before, but I can't recall
>what specifically it was about. Just recently, I am getting increasing
>annoyed at the high pitched noise that my thinkpad R50 emits while the CPU is
>working over 1Ghz, I googled around and found out it is due to 2.6 kernel
>which uses 1000Hz so makes capacitors work a lot harder? But I can't bear the
>noise any more, replacing the thinkpad it's an option nor going back to 2.4
>kernel, but changing process.c to 100hz can solve the problem according to
>some threads, does it slow down the computer or harm the laptop? any one?

The slowdown to 100Hz doesn't harm anything, that's what the earlier
kernels use. You could easily check if this is your problem by booting
your laptop off of a Knoppix or similar live CD that uses a 2.4.x
kernel. If the noise goes away then you can go compile a 2.6.x kernel
with the Hz value turned down to 100. This doesn't really cause a
slowdown in overall work done by the computer, but it might have a tiny
effect on latency in some high load situations. It is worth a try,
though the noise you hear might instead be related to the ACPI
subsystem, and if that is the case then changing the Hz value might not
help at all.

wes