[ltp] Re: ACPI suspend problem on T23

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:56:16 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 08:11:13AM -0800, khosrow hassani wrote:
> Hi again,
> I compiled the 2.6.10 kernel from Debian source and
> now
> the sleep and resume work fine, thanks! the only
> problem
> I have now is that if I exit FVWM ( the window manager
> I use) and restart X, all the colors mix up making
> everything look funny. it is impossible with all
> foreground and background collors all changed. so, I
> have to reboot and restart the X. I had this problem
> with the olded 2.6.8 kernel as well.
>
>  Khosrow

I have not seen this particular behavior on my T23.  I'm running the
stock savage driver in debian's sid package but I also have tried Tim
Robert's savage driver on occasion and never seen this.  It brings to
mind another problem I have though.  I cannot set the X server to run at
32 bpp at all here.  The colors get all strange.  But on FreeBSD 5.3 on
this laptop, with X.org the driver worked fine at the color depth.  Its
not a real bother to me but just something worth mentioning.

The other nice thing you can do is write yourself a small lid close
event script and make the laptop suspend with closing the lid.  Here is
how that works for me.  I wrote a lid close event handler which lives in
/etc/acpi/events and I named it "lid"  like this:

event=button[ /]lid
action=/etc/acpi/suspendtoram.sh

Then I wrote the suspendtoram.sh script which lives in /etc/acpi like
this:

#!/bin/sh
dldrstop
echo mem >/sys/power/state
modprobe driverloader

Now just a few notes about my particular setup.  The dldrstop thing is a
graceful way to kill of the linuxant driverloader kernel module.  I have
had issues with the laptop suspending if the driver is active so I
hopped onto the linuxant mailing list and their support guys suggested
using dldrstop since its more clean than simply doing a rmmod
driverloader.  Then I just probe driverloader on resume and the device
comes back up again ready for use.

One other thing is that now I can do suspend events and resume events by
simply doing Fn-F4 on the keyboard.

Take care.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org