[ltp] Totally confused.

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:44 +1300

Greets list,

I have been lurking here, swinging around dozens of ThinkPad www sites, so
much so that I am now totally confused. Words seem to go in one eye and
straight out the other one.

I have a R40 2681-B9M ThinkPad, which is just on two years old, & I am running
Gentoo on it. I am totally confused as to the differences between the various
states.

Please could a kind soul tell me where I could find some doco about the
differences between the sleeping, suspended, and hibernated states?

This machine seems to be able to use ACPI.
I understand that it is the latest and bestest for this machine?
Am I correct?

I have come across a huge number of kernel patches while I've been rambling
around on the 'Net. Is there an anthology somewhere?

I'm not terribly anxious to get the absolutely best battery performance, but
knowing me, one day I'll forget to turn the machine off, shut the lid and
stuff it in its bag and go and cook the poor thing.  I'm rather desperate to
fix that possibility asap.

ps. Im not afraid of compiling a kernel, but am rather afraid of hurting my,
for me, rather expensive toy.

Thanks a 10^6

--
Sincerely etc.,