[ltp] r40e - music cds not playing after ubuntu upgrade

ash linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:46:06 +1100

Hi all,

Upgraded the Ubuntu install on my r40e from warty to hoary to take
advantage of the latest xorg, and all seemed to have gone well until I
tried to play a music cd in the DVD drive this morning. Both grip (Unable
to initialize /dev/cdrom) and gnome-cd (Drive error) both throw up errors
(even without an audio cd in the drive), and if I try and mount the audio
cd, it gives me:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
        missing codepage or other error

The output of dmesg reads as follows:

hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1024
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

I don't think it's a damaged drive, because data cds still mount without
any problems, so I'm presuming that it's as a result of the Ubuntu
upgrade. A search on google seemed to indicate that this is a
distro/machine-independent, if fairly rare issue with no apparent
solutions, so apologies in advance if anyone feels it's a bit too
off-topic... Having said that, I'm hoping someone has some idea of what
may have borked.

tia,
ash.

--