[ltp] r40e - music cds not playing after ubuntu upgrade

ash linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:07:57 +1100

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:01:42 +0100, Tobias Kretschmer
<tobias-kretschmer@web.de> wrote:

Thanks Tobias, but unfortunately still no joy...

> Interesting that it tries to read all CDs als UDF-Formatted,
> standard for CD-ROMs ist ISO-9660 with extensions, but may work that
> way, didn't try so far.

Yeah, I thought that it was interesting that it made that change in the
fstab as well - I've tried both with and without udf, and all it does is
slightly alter the error message (isofs_fill_super instead of UDF-fs).

> What I had once with a newly installed Debian system was, that I had
> no rights to read the drive. You should check whether the  CD-ROM
> drive device, /dev/hdc in your case, is belonging to the group
> cdrom, might still be in disk.
> You can check that with  "ls -l /dev/hdc". If not do "chgrp cdrom
> /dev/hdc" - this is to be done as root.
> And you'll have to make sure your own user account ist in group
> cdrom, too. This is done in /etc/group, in the row beginning
> "cdrom,..", add your account after the klast colon.

Hmm, that was actually one of the first things I checked when I first
noticed the problem, but /dev/hdc is definitely root:cdrom, and I'm part
of the cdrom group... Others may want to be wary of this if they're
thinking of upgrading from Ubuntu Warty to Hoary.

Looks like more searching on google. In the meantime, I'm stuck playing
cds on an old Mac Performa 5200CD - because as we all know, the only
things that Apple products are good for are listening to music and storing
data, right...? ;)

cheers,
ash.

--