[ltp] T42/FC3 - cannot Num-Lock

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:50:45 -0500

On Thursday 17 February 2005 13:19, after a long battle with technology,
Kelvin KAN wrote:
> found I cannot turn on the numeric keypad (shift NumLk) - the
> left-most /1\ LED does not lit, and pressing the UIO-JKL-M keys does
> not output any numeric chars.   One of the most obvious consequences
> is I cannot switch resolution under X by Ctrl.Alt.+/-, w/o Num-Lock.

That's what "xvidtune -next" was invented for, eh?

> I believe [this is] not [a] h/w problem because NumLock functions
> well under WinXP.

Thinkpads use a weird keycode for NumLock.  Do this:

xmodmap -e 'keycode 77 = Num_Lock'

...and things get much better.  The Ctrl-Alt-(keypad +) key combination
is a PITA on a laptop keyboard, so I just use xbindkeys to bind
Shift+F7 to "xvidtune -next" so I can switch resolutions without
hitting a bunch of extra keys.

> On the first Gnome session after fglrx-8-10.19 installation, it did
> warn me the keyboard setting is diff from the default of Gnome

fglrx: bleah.  This isn't an fglrx problem, it's an X problem.  I got
the same symptoms on my 600X and A22p (neither one had a Radeon in it)
before I learned about the strange keycode used.  HTH,

--
   "Depress the button," it said.  Gloria looked at the button.  "You're
   a very ugly button," she began.  --Phil Janes, _The Galaxy Game_