[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:15:03 -0600

Jo Jo wrote:

>>> I've installed FC3 on this ThinkPad 600E, and I've never gotten the
>>> sound to work right. lspci gives:
>>>
>>> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
>>> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
>>>
>>> so it seemed to make sense that I compile the SND_CS46XX module into
>>> the kernel. Yeah, I've rolled my own (2.6.10). So, how come I get
>>> the message "/dev/dsp: can't be opened (no such file or directory)"
>>> when I start up? I think it might have something to do w/udev. It
>>> wouldn't be the first /dev-related problem I've had since going to FC3.
>>>
>> Go to IBMs web site for the proper entries you need in etc/modules.conf.
>

>   I've searched through their support documentation (using keywords
> like "modules.conf", "sound", "linux", and "kernel") and there doesn't
> appear to be any such settings. I also don't have any
> /etc/modules.conf on my system.

The IBM site's tips on installing Linux (old RH 6.2) on a 600E is gone,
at least my old link is dead and I can't find it again.

First question, do you want to use the OSS sound driver or the ALSA
driver?  OSS is slightly easier, but gives you less control over the device.

First clue: the CS4610/11 that you see you cannot control.  You must use
snd-cs4236 for ALSA, or the CS4232 driver for OSS.

I can't help with details particular to FC3, I'm using Debian sid here
on my 600E.

wes