[ltp] Dual-head non-scrolling viewport

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:49:55 -0800

Hi,

Apologies if this comes through twice. I tried sending with files
attached, but never saw them on the list so I'm assuming attachments are
blocked. See below for URLs instead...

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 09:02 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > Although now my 1400x1050 mode doesn't show up in krandr as an
> > option--before, it would give me that resolution on the laptop screen
> > and blank the external monitor.
>
> hmmm... it should.  can you post you config and log somewhere?

Okay, I've posted log and config at:
http://foraker.freelock.com/hunter.xorg.conf
http://foraker.freelock.com/hunter.Xorg.0.log

> > Now I don't see a way of disabling the external monitor without stopping
> > X. Is there something I can add to do that?
>
> If you set metamodes for both dualhead and clone configs you should be
> able to switch using xrandr.

Here's what xrandr says:

[root@hunter john]# xrandr
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0   2424 x 1050   ( 604mm x 232mm )  *0
 1   2048 x 768    ( 604mm x 232mm )   0
 2   1024 x 768    ( 604mm x 232mm )   0
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal
Reflections possible - none

... so it's the 1400x1050 mode that doesn't show up. It did, until I
added the CRT2VRefresh and CRT2HSync values.

So I get the single clone mode, and the two different non-clone modes,
but not the higher resolution clone mode or the ability to shut off the
external monitor.

Now here's another question: How do I set the external monitor to rotate
it to 768x1024? I have it on a pivot stand, and used to use it in
portrait orientation often in Windows, but have never figured out how to
get X to rotate, and the option isn't available in xrandr/krandr. Do I
just need to add appropriate modelines?

If I could rotate the external display, we're down to some 26 pixels
difference in height between it and the laptop display, and I could
probably live comfortably with that...

Thanks,
--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"