[ltp] Dual-head non-scrolling viewport

Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:40:59 -0500

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:49:55 -0800, John Locke <mail@freelock.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this comes through twice. I tried sending with files
> attached, but never saw them on the list so I'm assuming attachments are
> blocked. See below for URLs instead...
>

> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 09:02 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > >
> > > Although now my 1400x1050 mode doesn't show up in krandr as an
> > > option--before, it would give me that resolution on the laptop screen
> > > and blank the external monitor.
> >
> > hmmm... it should.  can you post you config and log somewhere?
> >

> Okay, I've posted log and config at:
> http://foraker.freelock.com/hunter.xorg.conf
> http://foraker.freelock.com/hunter.Xorg.0.log

one problem:
don't use metamodes in the display section of your screen config:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1400x1050-1024x768" "1024x768-1024x768" "1400x1050" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection

this should be:
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1400x1050" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection

> > > Now I don't see a way of disabling the external monitor without stopping
> > > X. Is there something I can add to do that?
> >
> > If you set metamodes for both dualhead and clone configs you should be
> > able to switch using xrandr.
> >

> Here's what xrandr says:
>
> [root@hunter john]# xrandr
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   2424 x 1050   ( 604mm x 232mm )  *0
>  1   2048 x 768    ( 604mm x 232mm )   0
>  2   1024 x 768    ( 604mm x 232mm )   0
> Current rotation - normal
> Current reflection - none
> Rotations possible - normal
> Reflections possible - none
>
>  ... so it's the 1400x1050 mode that doesn't show up. It did, until I
> added the CRT2VRefresh and CRT2HSync values.

your the hsync you specified is probably too limited to display the
1400x1050 mode.  Plus what is the native resolution of your panel?  If
it's only 1024x768, you won't be able to do a 1400x1050 clone mode
since only your LCD can display it.  You'd need a mixed mode clone
mode. try adding 1400x1050+1024x768 as a metamode (the '+' option may
only be in cvs HEAD).

> So I get the single clone mode, and the two different non-clone modes,
> but not the higher resolution clone mode or the ability to shut off the
> external monitor.

the clone modes don't shut off the enternal monitor, you can just use
them with xrandr to resize your desktop deom dualhead to single head.
there's no way to dynamically control outputs in xorg at the moment.

> Now here's another question: How do I set the external monitor to rotate
> it to 768x1024? I have it on a pivot stand, and used to use it in
> portrait orientation often in Windows, but have never figured out how to
> get X to rotate, and the option isn't available in xrandr/krandr. Do I
> just need to add appropriate modelines?

Rotation isnt supported by the xorg radeon driver.

Alex