[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

Jo Jo linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:17:34 -0500

>>>Here's what I have:
>>>
>>>alias char-major-116 snd
>>>alias char-major-14 soundcore
>>>options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
>>>alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>>>alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>>>alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>>>alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>>>alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>>>alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
>>>above snd-pcm snd-pcm-oss
>>>above snd-mixer snd-mixer-oss
>>>above snd-seq snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi
>>>alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
>>>alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>>>options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 sb_port=0x220
>>>fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0 mpu_port=0x330 mpu_irq=9 enable=1
>>>

>>>The most important part is the second options line.  It is probably
>>>wrapped so know that the last line starts out "options" and ends with
>>>"enable=1".  If you use distro ALSA modules they usually have ISAPNP
>>>compiled in so you would also need "isapnp=0" on that last line.  I
>>>compile ALSA drivers from Debian's alsa-source package so I have ISAPNP
>>>configured out.
>>

>>I put that into my /etc/modprobe.conf, but all I got were errors about the
>>"above" (wrong syntax it seems) and it didn't understand "isapnp=0" at the
>>end of the options line. No, that line wasn't wrapped when I put it in. I
>>also compiled the cs4236 as a module, and didn't burn it into the kernel.
>>What do I do now?
>

>Stop blindly copying config files :-)  OK, if it didn't like the "above"
>lines you can leave them out.  They are something new that Debian's
>alsa-base package added, but I've never needed them before.  On the
>"isapnp=0", if you get a complaint on insmod then your ALSA modules must
>not be compiled with ISAPNP support, so you can just leave that bit out and
>not worry about it.
>
>Now as for it not working, the above works for me because my 600E has those
>hardware settings, yours might be set differently.  You can either figure
>out what your settings are and change the options line, or change you
>settings to match mine.  There are at least two ways to read and set the
>settings, but the easiest (though not very easy) is to use the PS2.EXE
>program supplied by IBM.  Of course to use PS2.EXE you have to boot off of
>a MSDOS (or FreeDOS, or DRDOS) floppy or CDROM, and then go through the
>pain that running PS2.EXE involves.  It works fine, it's just that the user
>interface is frustrating.  Anyway, with PS2.EXE you can view and change
>pretty much all of the settings that the hardware knows about, so you can
>set your sound card IRQ's, IO ports, and DMA channels.  You might have to
>change more than the sound card settings in order to avoid conflicts with
>other devices.

I've run ps2.exe on the ThinkPad and all the settings it lists for the audio
are the same in your modprobe.conf.  However, there are a few settings in
the conf that ps2.exe didn't give:
index=0: I take it this has nothing to do w/the sound board settings...
id=CARD_0: nor this.
port=0x530: same
cport=0x538: There's an "ADDress   : 538" in the AUDIOCTRL settings
sb_port=0x220: same
fm_port=0x388: ps2.exe doesn't show this
irq=5: same
dma1=1 and dma2=0: ps2.exe had "DMA   : 0 1". does order matter?
mpu_port=0x330: There's an "ADDress   : 330" in the MIDIport settings
mpu_irq=9: There's an "IRQ    : 9" in the MIDIport settings
The MIDIport settings also have "Disabled"

But I feel that this has more to do with the driver and chipset. The error I
get on startup from insmod is that there is no such device. I guess I don't
blame it for thinking that since lspci also seems to think there's a
different model in there.