[ltp] IBM R40(e) and R51 mirror problem with beamer screen

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:21:14 -0500

Hello

I have a sort of a  strange problem. On  both Laptops I have installed
Debian SID (well Knoppix with dist-upgrade).

The R 40(e) allows --during the boot process-- to switch between the
LCD and the beamer screen by pressing Fn-F7, and it allows to *mirror*
that is to show the booting process in both screens. Hence there is no
problem to  mirror any PDF presentation between the LCD and the beamer
screen.

The R51 behaves very differently. It is not possible in the booting
process to mirror the LCD screen. I checked the BIOS: in fact there is
a option in the display section for LCD, external, and both, however
changing these values does not change the mirror behaviour.

So in Linux, when I switch between the screen, the LCD gets blank, and
even worse the screen looks in the beamer sort of distorted and hence
has to be restarted, with the LCD screen keeping blank.

Now in Windows XP, once the windows manager is up, it is possible to
mirror the LCD with the beamer. As a matter of fact it seems that the
graphic card, and Intel is installed *twice*.

So I wonder whether it is possible have a similar behaviour using
vncviewer vncserver and the like.

I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

R40(e) ATI Radeon 9000
R51: Intel R 82852/82855