[ltp] Last desperate attempt to show off my Debian Thinkpad at aconference

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:36:15 -0500

Thanks for the script. For me the script I mentioned does not work it
seems when I use it while the server is up  nothing is happening when
I switch the screen with Fn f7, the LCD stays blank (and the server is
sort of distorted.)
    Carl-Fredrik> I use this setup and it  works very nicely. I can do
    Carl-Fredrik> other things  on  the LCD while the  projector still
    Carl-Fredrik> shows the presentation.  Here is the script I use to
    Carl-Fredrik> start the vnc server and viewers.

    Carl-Fredrik> #!/bin/sh

    Carl-Fredrik> #VNCSRV=":3"
    Carl-Fredrik> #VNCGEO="1024x768"
    Carl-Fredrik> #EXTDSP=":0.1"
    Carl-Fredrik> #Moved to file ./config

    Carl-Fredrik>  . config

I do not understand that part, what is . Config supposed to do, wehre
is the file .config?

    Carl-Fredrik> # Fire up vncserver and give it some time for things to settle
    Carl-Fredrik> vncserver -name "Beamer" -geometry $VNCGEO $VNCSRV &
    Carl-Fredrik> sleep 1
    Carl-Fredrik> #No screensaver during presentation please
    Carl-Fredrik> xset -display $EXTDSP s off

    Carl-Fredrik> # "remote" viewer i.e. the beamer
    Carl-Fredrik> vncviewer -fullscreen -shared -viewonly  -passwd $HOME/.vnc/passwd localhost$VNCSRV -display $EXTDSP &

    Carl-Fredrik> # local viewer
    Carl-Fredrik> xvncviewer -passwd $HOME/.vnc/passwd -shared $VNCSRV &

    Carl-Fredrik> ###

    Carl-Fredrik> However, is  there a way to  switch on the  external
    Carl-Fredrik> screen without restarting  the X server? I know that
    Carl-Fredrik> some such features of X.org have been discussed here
    Carl-Fredrik> but   what    about XFree86?  I'm    running  Debian
    Carl-Fredrik> unstable. Should I get unofficial packages of X.org?

    Carl-Fredrik> Regards Carl-Fredrik

Regards

Uwe