[ltp] Dual-head non-scrolling viewport

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:21:55 +0100

--=-rYs8WoCApOZpbZ+N6T1U

Hi,

> > So somebody mentioned the possibility of choosing a different conf file
> > at startup. How do you do this? Does this only work if you use startx,
> > instead of having a display manager that starts X automatically at star=
tup?
> >=20
>=20
> Usually startx.  I'm not too familiar with the display manager start
> up scripts.  you may be able to ajdust the X invocation stuff from
> their configs.  mergedfb will start single head or dualhead depending
> on whether it detects a monitor on the crt port.
>=20
> Alex

See X -help output and look for the -layout option. Compare that to what
is said in man xorg.conf (man XF86Config) about the DefaultServerLayout
option.

What i'm doing...
I made up a bootscript framework which i call hardware profiling. It is
meant to adjust certain configs to the state of certain hardware, mostly
periferal devices being present or not. It consists of detector scripts,
configurator scripts and configuration template files which may be
adjusted by the configurator scripts and copied to the appropriate
places at boot time. The whole process is initiated by an init scipt.
There is also a file somewhere in /var which reflects the detected
hardware status for other scripts which might be run later.

With hotplug evolving and the changes in xorg the whole thing will
hopefully become obsolete. Thanks to the hotplug infrastructure and the
better trackpoint compatibility on the T41p (compared to T23 where it
didn't work with the imPS2 protocol), the only thing this infrastructure
does on my system now is adjust the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file on every
bootup according to if an external monitor is connected or not.

It does this by simply changing the DefaultServerLayout entry. This way
the gdm display manager will start X with the right configuration.

In fact at the moment this doesn't work at all since xorg still doesn't
support dual head on DVI and crashes when i try to make it use my PCI
Radeon card for the second head.

Andr=E9.

--=-rYs8WoCApOZpbZ+N6T1U

--=-rYs8WoCApOZpbZ+N6T1U--