[ltp] R51 with Intel Card: VESA works better

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:07:21 -0500

    Matt> On Friday 25 February 2005 16:19, after a long battle with technology,
    Matt> Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
    >> Uwe Brauer wrote:

    Matt> Alejandro, if you'd  just read the  man page for i810, you'd
    Matt> find out  that the i810 X  module supports a metric arseload
    Matt> of Intel  video chips--not just  the original  i810.  If you
    Matt>  have  an Intel video chip,   you'll  almost always get much
    Matt>  better video performance  with  the i810 X  module than the
    Matt> VESA one.  A   number of Intel video  chips  use the  i740 X
    Matt> module, but this is not the correct one for Uwe.

Right, I don't think this is a kernel problem, I tried it with a
2.4.29 kernel and the   intel card compiled  monolithic  in, the  same
behaviour. It does not work under 2.6.5 neither.

    Matt> I don't  think   Uwe ever  said  anything  about  vesafb  or
    Matt>   intelfb.   IME, vesafb  never  stepped on  X's  toes.  The
    Matt> symptoms Uwe is describing (LCD OK, VGA-out  not OK) sound a
    Matt> lot more  like an X module problem  or an incorrect X config
    Matt>  file than a framebuffer  support problem.  I advised him to
    Matt> try the MonitorLayout and Clone  options in X's config file,
    Matt> but that apparently didn't work for him.

    Matt>  Here's a  thought:  I'm using   Xorg here and   some of the
    Matt> options present in Xorg's i810 module may  not be there in X
    Matt> 4.3.0's i810 module.  So, Uwe, if  you're not using Xorg, it
    Matt> *may* be time to upgrade.  I'm sorry if you're already using
    Matt> Xorg; I haven't been paying close attention to this Subject:
    Matt> line; work and junk keeps getting in the way.

Yeah, I received a message from another R51 thinkpad user with the
same awful card (there are not very many users) and he recommend me to
use i810switch, which works, but the display is a little grainy. There
is also i855crt but this does not work for my chip set.

So right Matt  X.org is the thing to  go, the option you described are
for the i833 chip which is what I need.  However the last thing I need
Right  now  is  to  screw  up  my X  windows  system. I  found  a nice
description of  how to  have it installed  together with  XFree  under
Debian, maybe I give it a  try.  It seems  to me that no *mayor* Linux
distribution offeres X.org, which makes me think....

Thanks

Uwe