[ltp] ATI Driver 8.10.19 not working on DVI

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:56 -0800

On Monday 28 February 2005 1:27 pm, Paul R Streitman wrote:
> I get one or the other.  I did not try for dual head or simultaneous
> display and do not know whether they are possible with ATI's driver and
> DVI.  I have never been able to switch between external and internal
> displays (without restarting X) with a Radeon chipset thinkpad.
> Personally, I do not see it as valuable anyway as most external monitors
> will not do 1400x1050 and I certainly would not want to run my thinkpad at
> a lower distorted res.
>
> Perhaps Alex will comment, but I have observed with both ATI's driver and
> the xorg Radeon driver that attempting to run the thinkpad LCD in other
> than native resolution results in a strange display with the image in the
> upper left and 'bars' of color to the right and below it.  Also, neither
> driver correctly detects what my external display is capable of providing
> and I have to coerce it to the correct 1280x1024.  That is why I have two
> layouts in the profile.

I have T42p with Thinkpad LCD resolution 1600x1200. In my office, I also have
external Flat panel IBM Thinkvision 21" LCD display - connected via port
replicator's DVI output - which also supports 1600x1200 resolution. Using
X.org 6.8.2's radeon driver, I can get the same contents displayed on both
Thinkpad LCD and external DVI Thinkvision display just fine using MergedFB
mode. If I have to make presentation and connect the projector to the VGA
connection, the VGA connection also works. (with same contents on Thinkpad
LCD and VGA).

Unfortunately, ATI's fglrx driver does not work that way. I never get a
picture on DVI connection :(. VGA works fine though.

Osho