[ltp] 3D accel freezes Xorg with Radeon Mobility 7500 with DRI enabled

Juan Luis Baptiste linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:24:42 -0500

Hi,

First of all, I'm new to this list, I have browsed through the archives from
the last three years looking for an answer with no success.

I have a T30 that comes with an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 16MB, here's lspci
output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW
[Radeon Mobility 7500]

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 official with Xorg 6.8.1.99 with kernel 2.6.8.1-20mdk.

I have DRI enabled as told by glxinfo:
[juancho@laptop juancho]$ glxinfo 2>1|grep Yes
direct rendering: Yes

Also looking at the logs I can see DRI is being loaded fine:

[root@laptop juancho]# grep dri /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        X.Org XInput driver : 0.4
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/linux/v4l_drv.o
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) v4l driver for Video4Linux
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.5.6) for chipsets: ati, ativga
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "radeon" driver
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] created "radeon" driver at busid "pci:0000:01:00.0"
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Visual configs initialized

[root@laptop juancho]# grep enabled /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
(==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
(==) RandR enabled

[root@laptop juancho]# grep drm /var/log/messages
Jan  2 13:09:12 laptop kernel: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on
minor 0:

and the modules are being loaded correctly:

[root@laptop juancho]# lsmod|grep radeon
radeon                126804  2
[root@laptop juancho]# lsmod|grep agpgart
agpgart                27752  2 intel-agp

But, when I run ANY application that needs 3D capabilities (glxgears,
tuxracer,tuxkart, boson, etc), X freezes. I have read in the archives that I
should use 16bpp color depth, wich doesn't work, or that I should set
MESA_NO_3DNOW=1, wich doesn't work either.

One thing that I noticed was that if I launch for example glxgears from a
console (ctrl+F1 and setting DISPLAY=0.0) and I then switch back to X,
Xfreezes, but If I run glxgears in the console, then ctr+C and then switch to
X, X doesn't freeze, so the problem only occurs while the 3d app is running
(it doesn't work if after running glxgear from the console I switch to X and
then from a remote session I kill glxgears, X still gets freezed).

I remember that I could play tuxracer with 3D acceleration in this same
machine when I had Mandrake 9.0 or 9.1 installed without problems, the
problem I had at that time was that when I suspended the machine, when
resumed, X suddenly restarted. I suppose I'll have to start playing with
XFree86 4.4 to see if that one works.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Cheers,
--