[ltp] Xandros

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 06:26:09 -0500

On Monday 03 January 2005 10:46 pm, joshua timberman wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:41:15 -0500, SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Point of the DSL issue was I was in the office where we have WiFi which
> > SuSE failed to recognize and Mandrake did. SuSE also failed to recognize
> > the monitor type and Mandrake did. [...] So here we have a software
> > partner of IBM software that fails to recognize IBM hardware. Personally
> > I would give them an A for tensity and an F for performance.
>
> I don't recall that you specified your Thinkpad model,

A30P

> or the model of your wireless adapter.

Not a clue. Built in by IBM. In fact since I did not order WiFi I was amassed
to discover that I had WiFi when I kept screwing the office WiFi system up by
having both WiFi and cable activated at the same time. It seems that Mandrake
had auto detected and automatically configured and initiated both without my
knowledge that there was even an office WiFi system. At that time I did not
know that WiFi was being used to converse between two sets of offices in to
buildings about 60 foot apart. In fact to be honest the WiFi issue is what
enlightened me to the fact that there is a separate management level to our
system. That knowledge which other did not possess lead to a promotion into
the management offices.

Point of the preceding explanation was that non teckies do not live in the
same technical world as tackies and that things that are obvious to tackies
may not be obvious to non tackies.

What IBM put in this box I haven't a clue.

> Regardless - I have installed SuSE 9.2 Professional on a T41 w/ the
> builtin Atheros WiFi, and SuSE 9.1 Professional on an A21m w/ a
> Netgear WiFi adapter.  The T41 detected the wireless  flawlessly, as
> well as the monitor - not only the laptop's LCD, but the external 20"
> monitor I have at work, and configuring dual head was a snap after
> that.  The wireless card in the A21m was not recognized by SuSE 9.1,
> but it was a pretty tricky card to get working (100+ posts on a Linux
> Questions forum thread about the card's chipset).  I managed to get it
> up and working fine on my WLAN with the ndiswrapper from SuSE and the
> Windows driver for the Netgear card. The LCD on the A21m was detected
> perfectly as well by SuSE's SaX, even better than the Red Hat 9 I had
> installed prior.

You have made my point exactly above. To complicated for non tackies to
attempt.

> My experience with SuSE on Thinkpads is extremely good.  I haven't had
> any "show stopping" problems, other than the A21m WiFi, which only
> slowed me down at home a bit while I researched the card itself.
>
> Additionally, SuSE 9.2 is probably the most polished
> "desktop/workstation user oriented" distribution of Linux I've used
> yet.  Fedora core 3 is getting there, though.

I agree. Just wish I could get it to work on my desktop but that is a hardware
issue not a software issue that only developed recently that I have not had
time to address.