[ltp] Xandros

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:47:02 -0700

Somewhat off topic... somewhat relevant... No inflammatory tone intended.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 06:26:09 -0500, SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:

> A30P

> Not a clue. Built in by IBM.

Here's a quick step-through that I used to find some specifications...

A30P network adapter
http://www-132.ibm.com/search/a30p.html

Scroll down to IBM ThinkPad a30p Support Search
search for "a30p specifications"

Second link was Overview - Thinkpad A30, A30p
http://tinyurl.com/56byq

I understand that it doesnt contain the chipset information for your
WiFi card, but that should be a good starting point.

You have your machine type and serial number.  It's printed on a label
on the Thinkpad, usually the bottom, or the wrist-rest of the
keyboard. This will garner even more information.

> Point of the preceding explanation was that non teckies do not live in the
> same technical world as tackies and that things that are obvious to tackies
> may not be obvious to non tackies.

Please refrain from the "tacky" reference to technical people.
"Techie" is widely accepted and nonderogatory.  You will lose respect
and interest of those people if you insult them, deliberately or not,
and they may not respond to your questions.

> What IBM put in this box I haven't a clue.

Simply searching IBM for your machine type will turn up a lot of
information.  The IBM asset label consists of three parts: four digit
machine type [ ] serial number [ ] model number.  That information is
invaluable when searching IBMs site.  Remember, IBM is the single
largest computer corporation in the world.  As such, their site
contains far too much information to really navigate easily.

Technical or not, EVERY user on the internet *MUST* know how to use
Search engines properly.  Really.  It isn't an option unless you want
to continue bumbling ignorantly.

You are also fully capable of using a telephone and calling support.
The help desk support staff at IBM has been above average in my
experience. If this is too inconvenient for you, then I have no
sympathy for your problems.

>> [ my explanation cut ]

> You have made my point exactly above. To complicated for non tackies to
> attempt.

What is complicated?  Jumping through hoops to find an obscure WiFi
chipset and make it work?  Of course.  And that is exactly why I
commented as I did in another thread - Linux is NOT ready for the
average desktop user.  Until all Linux installations work as perfectly
as SuSE 9.2 on my T41, it won't be.

For the record, the SuSE X configuration recognized my external
monitor just fine, the only issue was setting up a dual head display.
This is not a normal user task as most end users don't even have two
displays.

> I agree. Just wish I could get it to work on my desktop but that is a hardware
> issue not a software issue that only developed recently that I have not had
> time to address.

There is a lot of documentation available to assist you with resolving
your problems.  It takes some skill with a search engine (I recommend
Google), or prior knowledge of where to start (eg,
http://www.tldp.org/).  But ignorance is no excuse.  If a user wants
to veer away from the so called "industry standard" of Windows, then
there's some extra effort required.  If one doesn't know something,
there's a multitude of user communities out there available to help.

There's Linux experts abound on mailing lists such as this one, and
I've found most problems have already been discovered, though not
always with solutions. When there isn't a solution, its time to file a
bug report or support ticket with the vendor, manufacturer or
developer.  When there is, some Google searching can find the
solutions to most problems.

And if you really want to know what chipset your WiFi card is using,
I'd start with the "lspci" command ;).

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!