[ltp] T41: garbled screen

Paul Bolle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:09:47 +0100

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 10:25 +0100, Alexander Gran wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Januar 2005 21:21 schrieb Paul Bolle:
> > 3) Every now and then the screen of this T41 is totally garbled. This
>
> Could you describe that garbeling a bit more?
> I have a similar problem, which can be triggerd by heat and mechanical stress.
> I need to send in my thinkpad, however I can't do without it at the moment ;)

1) Fabrice Bellet send me some advice off list and a link to his site:
http://bellet.info/photos/2003/Aug/10Aug18:10/ (he allowed me to post
this link to the list). The first two pictures (P8100002.JPG and
P8100004.JPG) resemble my screen when it's garbled. I can't say for sure
whether I experienced the other problems he documented.

2) I contacted my dealer. Just as the people on this list, they quickly
decided this must be a hardware problem. My T41 will be send to IBM for
(probably) a new graphics card.

3) For those on the list that wondered about backing up data: the dealer
would not mind to receive the T41 without a HDD. They even suggested
that this was a common practice for their corporate clients.

Kind regards,

Paul Bolle