[ltp] KDE3.3 and running fan

Moritz Karbach linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:05:59 +0100

Hi Roland,

> I don't know about KDE I'm not using it anymore but why don't you
> monitor the temperature of your harddisk and cpu? If their themperature
> stays reasonably low, you know that it has to be the GPU - don't know
> how to monitor this though ;-(

Indeed, the CPU temperature seems to be a problem. It's permanently about=20
42=B0C. I tried to enable all powersaving features, that is CPU throttling =
to=20
87%, power profile 'powersafe' (CPU goes from 1500MHz down to 500MHz). If I=
=20
do so, the temperature drops to 36=B0C, fan still running.

Before I upgraded, the temperature was 34=B0C in the average, with fan not=
=20
running... One thing: I did an apt-get dist-upgrade to install approx 100=20
packages, most of them connected to KDE3.3. Possible, that some other packa=
ge=20
causes the fan problem...

> I myself use just the ondemand governor and the laptop-mode-tools on a
> T40p.

I assume, 'ondemand governor' is the same as powernowd? Since apt-cache sho=
w=20
powernowd says:
"  This daemon is less complicated than cpufreqd or cpudyn, at the cost of
 absolutely depending on a 2.6 kernel with the userspace governor and sysfs
 support enabled. "

> P.S.
> if you need some script to monitor the temperatures just let me know, I
> found some on the internet.

=46or CPU temp I use a simple
watch -n 1 cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature

But I could use some script to obtain the HDD temperature!

Cheers,

=2D Moritz