[ltp] TP760XL and PCMCIA Lan card

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:34 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Harry Popov wrote:

> Till now I connect to Internet via IrRda and GSM phone which is quite
> expencive. I bought a PCMCIA Lan card and I have problems with it. As I
> succeeded with several cards on different desktops, I think the problem
> is that PCMCIA notebook cards should be installed some what in a
> different way and I need help.
>
> Could some one give a set of advices or pass links for usefull readings.
> BTW I did my best to find such information alone.
>
> The card is made in Turkey and is rtl8139 chip. It is recognized by the
> system and 8139too nodule loads. I think I have aither incorect module
> or IRQ problem.

I've never dealt with PCMCIA, but:  Is this an RPM-based system?  If so, try
looking at these programs:

for package in `rpm -qa | grep pcmcia` ; do
  rpm -ql $package
done | grep bin/

That is, unless someone knows the way around PCMCIA...

"/sbin/modinfo 8139too" on my system doesn't show a place for IRQ or address
specification:

filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o
author:      "Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>"
license:     "GPL"
parm:        multicast_filter_limit int, description "8139too maximum number of filtered multicast addresses"
parm:        max_interrupt_work int, description "8139too maximum events handled per interrupt"
parm:        media int array (min = 1, max = 8), description "8139too: Bits 4+9: force full duplex, bit 5: 100Mbps"
parm:        full_duplex int array (min = 1, max = 8), description "8139too: Force full duplex for board(s) (1)"
parm:        debug int, description "8139too bitmapped message enable number"

What options are you giving it now?  What makes you think it doesn't work?
Is there any output in /var/log/messages when it loads?

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.
Q: Why is top-posting wrong?  -- from lots42@xxx.com