[ltp] NAS with r/w access at boot time in fstab

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:52:50 -0500

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:21, after a long battle with technology,
Jim Hughes wrote:
> I am trying to get my FC3 box to mount my NAS box when it boots up
> automatically.

And what if the NAS is unavailable?  You should never have network
filesystems mounted automatically unless the filesystem is guaranteed
to be there.  If it isn't there, you'll get a long delay on power-on
while the mount times out.

> As of now the only way that I can write to the NAS is
> as root from the command line.

Bad fstab options.

> //machine/Disk-1 /mnt/disk1    smbfs    rw,user,exec 0 0

Try this instead:

//machine/disk1  /mnt/disk1  smbfs
rw,umask=000,exec,username=USER,workgroup=GROUP,password=PASS  0  0

..."user" is not useful unless it's combined with "noauto".  You need to
specify the username, workgroup, and password, either the way I've
described or in a credentials file ("man smbmount" for that) for it to
mount without user input.  HTH,

--
   He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish