[ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:40:31 -0700

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:36:48PM -0500, jcms wrote:

>   I'm looking for comments such as recommendations and feedback
> based on you own experience: positives and negatives (what should I
> avoid), etc.
>   1. model

I haven't bought one yet, but I've been looking closely at one from
Kano Tech: http://www.kanotechnologies.com/prod/K821S-WM.cfm
Small, can be powered from USB (even if using Firewire for data), and
their customer service isn't scared when you mention Linux.  They also
sell their older model on Ebay for a bit less.

>   2. connection type
>       ieee1394 [  ]
>       USB [  ]

I don't remember the exact speeds, but unless you have USB2, you
pretty much need to use ieee1394 if you want speeds greater than 1x
DVD.

>   3. double layer
>       yes [   ]
>       no   [   ]

Note that double layer media is still pretty pricey (~$5 disk).
Certainly will come down over time, but currently not much competition
for single layer at ~$0.50/disk.

>   4. media
>          manufacturer
>          specs

For my desktop I've been buying Ritek Data 4x from
http://www.meritline.com with general success.  I'm finding the +R
versions to work better in my standalone DVD player.

In any case, please give a report of what you get and how it works.

Hope this helps,

--nate