[ltp] thinkpad 600E hard disk failure - need replacement advice

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:02:46 -0600

Nigel Wilkinson wrote:
> Ho folks
>
> my 600E has suffered a hard disk failure. In Britain a web search shows
> advertised replacement "600E compatible hard drive" seems to cost about
> £150. Is there any reason why I can't use a generic IDE drive such as a
> Travelstar which costs less? Is there something special about 600E drives?

I put a nice 40 gig fujitsu MHT2040AT in my 770, can't imagine a 600 being any
different.  I still can't believe how much quieter it is than the original IBM
drive.