[ltp] Thinkpad T23 Battery

Harry Popov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:56:13 +0200

> Hello Harry,
>
> nothing personal from me either ;-). I just stated what I read.
> Actually I do not know the truth, since I am no expert in that
> area.

Nice! :). I hate any kind of list wars. Every one has enough
personal problems to solve and his effords should go there. It is
offtopic but I follow different lists since 1995. It is quite energy
consuming if one say his personal oppinion in some of them. This
list is just an example of etiquet.

> Okay, but I usually need my battery once a month at least and I
> never had it dropped below 50% of capacity as recommended in that
> article. This may well be an issue when you put it aside for a
> rather long time. The author of that article recommends checking
> the battery periodically and recharge it to 80% when its near 50%.

Using a notebook once a month is a long period of inactivity. Again
speaking about Toshiba T3400CT, sorry I know this is IBM notebook
list, the battery is fully discharged after 5 days even if the
computer is swithced off. I do not know the engeneer's thought for
this decision but this behaviour is natural for this computer./not a
batery fault/

In this aspect every one who has the same batery discharging
notebook, and as far as I know many of them behaves just in this
way, should keep the batery away during unactivited periods, charged
and in a cool place. So what you are doing is just correct and your
batery will last for a long time.

> As far as I understand the author of that article actually he
> referred to lithium batteries, but I probably I didn't understand
> it correctly. Unfortunately I do not have that article at hand at
> the moment.

I sopose the author tried to write it in most popular way to be
understood by more people. That why he did not fall in technical
details and tried to give more info with small amount of words.
Actually if you follow what he said, at least what you reprinted
here, will not damage anything. It only will give a longer batery
life compared to not follow his recomendations. I only wanted to say
that it could be even better. :)

The last thing I want to comment and will stop the discussion is the
wide spread 1000 charge cicles. This actually is the minimum number
of recharges garanted by producer at normal conditions. If one
follows the rules for keeping the batery it should be used much
longer. I have 10 peaces AA NiCads which were recharged every day
for 9 years (roughly 3300 times). They are now retired and my boys
are still using them for some tasks...

The best general rule is:
# If the batery is not in use keep it CHARGED!!!#

If it is kept discharged a chemistry processes are going inside and
the batery dayes... Hence the ice-box and lower temperature. The
process could not be stopped but can be slooooowed...

Be happy with your T23. I wish to find a cheap one myself. :) It is
a high time to retire the TP760XL I am usin now.

Regards,
Harry Popov     LZ1BB   G QRP Club #4210