[ltp] Thinkpad takes a coffee bath

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:15:58 -0800

Hello, all,

This morning my Thinkpad took a full cup of coffee over the keyboard.
Unfortunate incident... Within 2 seconds, it shut itself off.

I lept into action, unplugging the power supply, removing the battery,
and running the keyboard under fresh water. Then I removed the keyboard,
touchpad, mini-PCI card, internal RAM, hard drive, and optical drive. I
then used a blow drier on a low setting to try to evaporate most of the
moisture.

My current plan is to let it sit disassembled for another few hours
before assembling it and applying power, and seeing if it comes back to
life... So here are my questions:

1. Does the Thinkpad (a T41) have some sort of mechanism to shut off
power in this type of situation, preventing permanent damage, or did I
likely cause something to permanently short?

2. Is there anything else I should do or check while it's taken apart,
before applying power?

3. If it doesn't come back to life, does the IBM warranty cover this
type of thing? (I bought it from a dealer 5 months ago, and believe I
paid for the on site service contract...)

Any other words of advice, commiseration, or condolences appreciated...

Cheers,
--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"