[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi-0.10

Nick Bower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:29:34 +0100

--=-edpqWimWBnajHe/TjWRa

Thanks - I meant over-riding protective thermal controls.  Put another
way, does giving users the ability to control laptop internal
temperature introduce a level of risk to hardware like CPU and HDD
through over-heating?  I guess these fans are there for a reason.

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I was curious though.

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:33 -0800, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:03:03 +0000 (UTC) Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@gmx.de>=
 wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:21:56 +0100, Nick Bower wrote:
> > > Thanks as always Borislav.  Do the fan/temperature features introduce
> > > risk to the hardware?
>=20
> Highly unlikely.
>=20
> > Why should it do so?
> >
> > If you think this has something to do with the lm-sensors/ThinkPad
> > breakage, then you should know that this was caused by write operations
> > during probes in sensors-detect. I think ibm-acpi never does something
> > like this.
>=20
> Even read operations can have undesirable side effects. I've managed
> to crash my laptop a few times by reading registers at random. That's
> why I put warnings on new features, but I don't believe any actual
> damage is likely at all. Just be a bit careful - sync your disk first
> and, as Paul said, watch the temperatures if you are putting
> intentional stress on the machine (e.g. heavy CPU or disk load).
>=20
> Boris

--=-edpqWimWBnajHe/TjWRa

--=-edpqWimWBnajHe/TjWRa--