[ltp] [T42] How implement ACPI, i'm lost...

James Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:16:28 -0500

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 19:10 +0200, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:
>  It would be much better if you used the sample scripts provided with
> ibm-acpi. A simple copy and you have everything working in the right
> way...

Yes, but unfortunately many users install from RPMs or other binary
packages, and many packages don't provide the scripts (and even if they
do, the install process won't tell you where they are, so you'd have to
look.)
However, your point is correct that it is easier to use these sample
scripts, I will update the HOWTO.
BTW, the http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/ doesn't have a link to the
sample scripts (at least, not one that's easy to find), so people who
install from binary packages will have to download the entire source
tarball and grab the scripts from it.  If I may suggest to Boris to
provide the script files as plain text files on the website.
Also, the sample scripts won't necessarily work out of the box for all
systems and all configurations, so it is always good to know how
everything works....if you don't read the HOWTO and just install the
sample scripts, I can guarantee you'll be coming back to the list with
even more questions when sleep and suspend don't work...these may not be
ibm_acpi related, but the HOWTO contains links to more information on
getting sleep and suspend working.