[ltp] A couple of issues with a ThinkPad R51

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:51:16 +0100

Hi all,

I've bought a ThinkPad R51 1829-R6G
(<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=1829r6g>)

I've installed Mandrake 10.1 and, all in all, it works quite well and I'm
very happy with it. However, I have a couple of issues I hope you can help
me to solve:

1.- The system doesn't seem to like booting from hda3. I've installed grub
on hda3 and left the MBR untouche. If I mark hda3 as the active partition,
the computer just doesn't boot, it says "No OS found" or something
similar. Marking hda1 (with WinXP) as active and copying the boot sector
of hda3 into the windows bootloader seems to work fine. Is this a known
behaviour? Is there a workaround?

2.- When I shutdown the computer, it doesn't finish. The screen goes blank
and the HD stops, but the processor (and the fan) is still running, I have
to hold the power button for a few seconds. I've found this can be solved
by disabling local apic, however, if I pass "nolapic" to the kernel all I
get is a blank screen after grub and no apparent activity. I've tried a
quick kernel compile using the mdk kernel (2.6.8.1-12mdk) and disabling
local apic there, and that seemed to work. But I wouldn't like to be
forced to compile my own kernels... any ideas?

3.- This R51 comes with an ATI Mobility Radeon M7 7500. With no special
configuration or drives (Xorg 6.7.0, radeon driver) I'm getting at most
550 fps with glxgears (tuxracer and neverball seem to work fine), from
what I'm seen on the net it looks like this is not a very good
performance. Is this true? Can I get a better one? (By the way, I set
"DynamicClocks" to "on", but the xorg log file says it was not used. Does
this card support it?)

Thanks in advance