[ltp] Please tell me my system board isn't hosed (EEPROM error)

Mark Mitchell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:55:47 -0600

Today when I powered up my thinkpad T20, I got an error message 0189: Invalid
RFID Configuration Information Area.

According to the IBM website, that's an EEPROM checksum error.

Is there *any* solution short of replacing the MB?

If not, is MB replacement something I should think about doing myself (never
done any serious disassembly of a laptop, but I'm comfortable with
desktops/printers)?

I've seen the warning on the linux-thinkpad website about lm-sensors, but I
never touched that.  All I've done with the machine since I got it a week or
two ago is install win ME, slackware-current, bought and installed a new
battery, and I was working on getting linux working with my Linksys WPC54GS
cardbus wireless network card.  It was working fine, powered it down this
morning, powered it up a couple hours later and I get the error.  What the
hell happened?!?!?!?

Thanks,
Mark