[ltp] ibm-acpi temperatures

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:26:04 +0100

On Do, 2005-01-27 at 04:32 +0100, Ernst Herzberg wrote:=20
> temperatures:   38 44 32 57 29 24 24 26
>=20
> 4.:) ATI Graphics. Shure. (checked with Keyborad removed:-) and with=20
> "DynamicClocks" "on"/"off"

Very fine. I always wanted a way to check the GPU temperature.

> 6.:) BAT1 (option in the CD-Bay). Shure.
> 8.:) BAT1. Shure

Of course! This would just be logical, if 5th and 7th are only available
if BAT0 is installed. ;)

On Do, 2005-01-27 at 07:11 +0100, Ernst Herzberg wrote:
> Interesting. The fan begins working, if the graphic-chip  reaches 63=B0C,=
 does'n=20
> care the CPU. Only if the CPU reaches 90=B0C the gear goes up again.

And this is exactly an idea, we had many times on the list:
That the GPU temperature is involved heavily in fan control.

Regardless how cool we can get the CPU, the GPU can still need the fan
to run.

Now, since quite some time, I'm interested in ATI's powermanagement
features. In Windows, Powerplay (=3Dreduced power usage of the GPU) is
only activated, when on battery power. Which means, with AC power, the
GPU does not activate its powermanagement at all or at least not every
feature available.

Has anybody yet found a difference in power usage/fan speed/temperature
between AC and battery power (e.g. when using windows)?

@ Alex: Do you happen to know, if DynamicClocks is used regardless of
power source?

Greetings, UW(e)