[ltp] T43 questions (video and suspend to RAM)

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:12:56 +0200

On Friday 01 July 2005 19:54, Greg Macek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to a T43 (model 2687D8U) and am running FC4. So far
> everything is running great. It found all my hardware, including SATA
> HDD controller. Video is running fine with the standard Xorg driver for
> the ATI X300 chipset (1400x1050 is awesome!). Is it even worth
> downloading and installing ATI's drivers? Is performance notably better
> ? Is power management better?
>
> However, the problem comes when trying to put it into sleep mode. It
> goes to sleep fine and even tries to resume. But the hard drive light
> just stays lit and I can't do anything with the computer until I hard
> reboot it. Has anyone gotten Suspend to RAM working yet? Should I just
> try hibernate instead? I did see this on ThinkWiki
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_ACPI_work#Suspend_to_RAM_.28Sleep.29
>
> Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Greg
Hi, I got my new T43p just a few days ago and immediately replaced Windows=
=20
with SuSE 9.3. Everything seemed to work more or less as it should, includi=
ng=20
ACPI, the DVD burner and the beautiful 1600x1200 screen. However the graphi=
cs=20
performance was poor, got around 600 fps in glxgears. So I downloaded and=20
installed the ATI drivers supplied by SuSE. Now I have 2200 in glxgears and=
 I=20
can finally get decent 3D performance. Not that I really need it.

However. Suspend to disk does not work. According to thinkwiki it's the ATI=
=20
driver's fault. Cedega does not work, I use it solely to play Civilization =
=20
which is the only game I actually spend some time on. Crossover Office mess=
es=20
up the screen very often which is a big PITB. I really need it for Lotus=20
Notes and Visio. I quite sure that all of these problems are caused by the=
=20
ATI driver. I can live without suspend but cxoffice must work so I'll try t=
o=20
figure out the ATI driver before having to return to the x.org driver.
=2D-
Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0((
Torkild Ulv=F8y Resheim, Senior Systemutvikler / Software Engineer =A0 =A0))
Emma EDB AS, Trondheim, Norway. http://www.emmaedb.no =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
Private pages: http://resheim.no - "Any sufficiently advanced =A0 =A0 | =A0=
 =A0| )
bug is indistinguishable from a feature." =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |____|'