[ltp] Carrying Case??

Carlos Maldonado linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:40 -0400

David Tansey wrote:
> Does anyone here have a good suggestion for a carrying case that is
> designed either for the X or T series? I have an x40 and am dying for a
> carrying case with some room for a book or two and a few files.
>
> I have a tiny little thing that just holds the laptop (and a few 8x11
> papers on top of it), but I'd really like something so I don't have to
> have my laptop carrying case and a briefcase.
>
> any suggestions for briefcases/carrying cases for the X or T series? Or
> models designed for larger series with a suggestion of how to get my X
> to fit comfortably in it (like a slip case?)

I bought this without trying it out or asking anyone first, I know it's
a backpack but I like to have both hands free when walking

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1088825

it's too big for my x40, but it has a well padded compartment for the
laptop (specially in the bottom), back padding in the shoulder and
lumbar area, as in the front of the backpack

yes I know it designed for 14" and 15" screen, but the velcro adjustable
  little belt inside the laptop sleeve helps to hold it

I've used it on two trips and it's protected the laptop, once it fell
from a chair (say a feet and a half) and the laptop didn't even notice

yeah, I know it's big but the only thing I could found for 12" laptops
was a canadian designer bag for $130 which I couldn't afford

as a bonus it has a blue little flashlight, useful for finding stuff in
dark places inside the backpack, since it becomes impossible to look in
it without a light source (when I used it the first time I realized how
useful it was) and it has an individual sleeve for ac adapter and cable

the thing I like the most about it, no logos or particular signs
indicating "yes, I'm carrying a laptop"

internal CDs compartment, hidden zipper pocket in the lumbar area, well
padded shoulder straps and handle, main (where the laptop goes) pocket
has lock compatible zippers, plain ticket size external pocket and
secondary pocket for office supplies, there seems to be rubber band
arranged for storing three pens in horizonal position, however I don't
use pens so I put my two extra AA batts for the cybershot I carry most
of the time

I don't think you are going to run out of space on a trip if you have an
X40 inside this (mine has the extended battery), although no slid for
roller carry-ons

it'd be perfect if it was adapted to the X40 size, but overall I prefer
it to this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1238040&CatId=1786

for which I read a review at notebookreview.com and the guy said the
cushioning system do not protect from a chair fall, since it's half as
tall as the laptop or something (besides it has an HP logo and it
doesn't make me feel safe in the street)

hope this helps

Carlos Maldonado