[ltp] Very dead looking R40

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:46:17 +0100

Hi,

Not Linux related, but we have our fair share of hardware questions on
this list too. My R40 appears to have died totally. The system was
working reasonably until recently, when it started to occasionally lock
up whilst unattended - usually on the screensaver. This was usually
manifested by a refusal to respond to key presses whilst showing a
static image on screen. A hard reset would follow.

On Saturday I suspended the system to disk and it powered itself down.
It is not responding to the power switch. Pressing it doesn't cause any
LEDs to light, nor any noises or whirring.  No LEDs light up when the
charger is plugged in. I have tried removing and reseating the battery.
I have tried turning it on without the battery in at all. No screen
activity is detectable and the whole thing just sits there looking
blankly at me.

The laptop is about 18 months old now, I was hoping not to replace it
for another year or so. Is there anything else I can try?

Tony