[ltp] Overheating again

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 07:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Right now I don't know what I should do.  Is there anyone experience
> with this ?  Should I called back later expecting a more
> comprehensive person?  My laptop is 4 weeks old and it crashs in 4
> seconds making these steps (since last week):

	Run the conservative governor and don't change the frequency
yourself. I've got a T42p here (the 2.1Ghz model), and I rarely see it
overheating doing lots of things.

	CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

	Keep in mind that these laptops weren't meant to be "servers",
or "compile-all-day" machines. If you want to run them 24x7 or compile
for hours at a time... think about using a different machine or
building your binaries on a non-laptop platform.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com