AW: [ltp] Rescue and recovery broken after installing Gentoo

Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:48:23 +0200

Hi,

It's not clear to me why you would ever want to do a recovery if you've
wiped windows out.  The cds give you the choice between installing R&R in=

the hidden partition; after having installed in the hidden partition, you=

should be able to restore.  If you say no, then it will ask you if you wa=
nt
to restore from the cds.

I don't know why the hidden partion doesn't work: perhaps that's due to
the fact that the "hidden" parttion is now in the partition table.  Maybe=

you could just delete the partion from the partion table (this won't dest=
roy
the data in the partion, but will remove the partition from the partition=

table)?  I've installed R&R onto a hard drive, after wiping it with "dd
if=3D/dev/zero of=3Dxxx", and it worked fine.

IMHO R&R is useless: who wants to go back to a virgin windows installatio=
n?
 Get a 2.5" external usb hard drive enclosure and a 2.5" hard drive which=

is the exact same size as your thinkpad's (total <100 Euro), and mirror
/dev/hda onto it.  R&R in this case equals popping in your mirrored hard
drive.

Cheers,

- vijay

>-- Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht --
>To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>From: Ben Jencks <ben-linux-thinkpad@bjencks.net>
>Subject: [ltp] Rescue and recovery broken after installing Gentoo
>Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:46:52 -0700
>

>This is a T43p. After installing linux, the rescue and recovery thing
doesn't work. Before I installed linux, pressing Access IBM at the BIOS
splash brought up R&R just fine. Now it brings up a menu asking if I
want to continue booting, go to BIOS s
>tup, or select an alternate boot
device. Also, I tried using a R&R CD made on a T42p, and attempting to
restore to factory setup. It fails saying that the restore function has
been disabled.

This all looks like the hidden recovery area has been d
>leted. The funny
thing is, it hasn't. I've left the setting in the BIOS on normal, never
switched to disabled. According to fdisk, there were originally two
partitions: NTFS and Compaq diagnostics. I deleted the NTFS and put
linux partitions it its
>place, but the other partition is still
there. I'm not sure why I'm seeing this other partition, because I
thought the recovery area was supposed to be hidden.

I've since installed FreeBSD, with no change to the recovery area. Still
doesn't work.
>I don't have any data on this disk I need to keep, so
reformatting lots of times isn't a problem.

So, can I fix the recovery area? I'm not sure how I broke it. I thought
it was supposed to be hidden and protected so I couldn't break it. What
othe
> information would be helpful to diagnose this?

My goal is to end up with a working restore function, but be running
FreeBSD.
--
Ben