[ltp] R51 display resolution

Takis Diakoumis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:44:39 +1000

> Are you sure that your _display_ supports more than 1024x768?

frankly, no. i guess thats one of the things i'm confused about.
the link included in my original post suggests that it is. i also called
ibm tech support and they said that it can do more than 1024x768 with
the latest drivers.

the problem could be that X is getting the driver info from the bios and
not from the driver (or chip) itself as the windows one does. i read
something to that effect in this (old) thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/msg03043.html

The R51 model is 2887GVM.
the output of 855resolution -l is below:

Chipset: 855GM
VBIOS type: 2
VBIOS Version: 3181

Mode 30 : 640x480, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 32 : 800x600, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 34 : 1024x768, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 38 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 3a : 1600x1200, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 3c : 1920x1440, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 41 : 640x480, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 43 : 800x600, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 45 : 1024x768, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 49 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 4b : 1600x1200, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 4d : 1920x1440, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 50 : 640x480, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 52 : 800x600, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 54 : 1024x768, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 58 : 1280x1024, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 5a : 1600x1200, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 5c : 1920x1440, 32 bits/pixel

so clearly the chip can do it.

> I don't know
> your particular model, but AFAIK 1400x1050 is the maximum which is supported
> by R51 models (on the internal display),

1400x1050 would be great!! i don't know if this is a more expensive
one.. ;) - not really... (i have no clue - got it on sale !!!)

thanks for replying.
anyone tried the driver available from intel???

suggestions appreciated.
Takis