[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:59:44 -0400

Quoting "Charles E. \"Rick\" Taylor, IV" <tomalek@mindspring.com>:

> Ubuntu supports software suspend out-of-box, though, so it's definitely
> a good choice if you want to use hibernate without a hibernation
> partition.  You will probably have to toy with it to get it working
> reliably, though.  Some modules just do not like hibernation.

On my old T20 and my current R51, hibernation has worked perfectly. I just had
to add a "resume=/dev/[swap partition]" argument to my GRUB menu.lst file.

> The GUI tools for setting up networks and printers don't seem quite as
> robust for Ubuntu as they do for Fedora, but that might at least
> partially be because I am more familiar with Fedora's tools than with
> Ubuntu's.

I agree, Fedora does generally have more/better GUI tools than Ubuntu.
Ubuntu's
network configuration GUI is particularly flaky, in my experience. It's worth
pointing out, though, that Fedora/Red Hat's tools have been developed over
several years, and Ubuntu is less than a year old and has seen only two
releases. It's making a lot of progress very quickly.

Best,
Joe