[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:10:27 -0400

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:59 -0400, jgidi@umd.umich.edu wrote:

> On my old T20 and my current R51, hibernation has worked perfectly. I just had
> to add a "resume=/dev/[swap partition]" argument to my GRUB menu.lst file.

I had a little more trouble on the old 570E.  Of course, that might have
been because it's a relatively ancient machine.  I will hopefully have
better luck with it on my X22 (which is running FC3 with a patched
kernel for software suspend 2 right now).

> I agree, Fedora does generally have more/better GUI tools than Ubuntu.
> Ubuntu's
> network configuration GUI is particularly flaky, in my experience. It's worth
> pointing out, though, that Fedora/Red Hat's tools have been developed over
> several years, and Ubuntu is less than a year old and has seen only two
> releases. It's making a lot of progress very quickly.

True, Ubuntu's tools are much newer.  But a beginner isn't going to
really care how long the tools have been in development, but rather why
the **** the modem configuration keeps disappearing.

In spite of this, I'd still probably recommend Ubuntu to someone
starting from scratch, since it's *so* much easier for a beginner to
actually get new software or updates on Ubuntu than on Fedora.  That,
and the "It's bleeding-edge, don't expect it to work!" attitude
exhibited by some posters on the fedora lists.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/