[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:03:34 +0200

Am Dienstag 12 Juli 2005 19:30 schrieb jgidi@umd.umich.edu:
> I'll add another voice to the chorus for Ubuntu. It's free/Free, very
> stable, easy to use, and has a great community surrounding it. You're
> almost sure to have everything working perfectly right off the bat,
> with the possible (probable?) exception of power management. You'll
> probably want to disable ACPI and use APM for power management. In my
> experience on my former T20, ACPI never quite worked right, but APM was
> flawless.

Hello,

ACPI didnt work on my T23 either, until I tried again with Linux kernel
2.6.11. Since then it works quite nicely. I do not shutdown my machine
anymore, but just use suspend to disk.

With a T21 it shouldnt be too different IMHO.

Currently I am already using 2.6.12.2 with udev 0.062 from unstable ;-). I
did not yet test toroughly, but I have some feeling that suspending USB
devices might work better.

With 2.6.11 resume on mounted external USB drives was unsafe. After
awakening I had to unmount and remount the drive partitions again. Well
lets see how it evolves.

To anyone interested I can send my kernel config. I have one for 2.6.12.2
and 2.6.11.12 but they are mostly the same.

Regards,