[Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested?(Userspaceaccelerometer viewer)

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:28:19 +1200

--nextPart2622714.oM7pNhPjxX

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:51, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> 	The job of reviewing code for bugs, clarity, function... is a
> job for a human, since no computer can do that properly. Is the
> function valid, but declaring a pointer which is never freed? Is the
> code using a function which is benign and useless?
>
> 	Consistent code formatting is a way to help people who read
> the code to understand it and find issues with it.

You misread my message entirely.

You can trivially (as you are a programmer) put a filter in *your* system t=
hat=20
reformats code, patches, etc. any way you want.  You don't need to ask othe=
r=20
people to do anything to accommodate your style.

Have your computer format code the way you like it - don't tell other peopl=
e=20
to format their code for you.  It's simply not important enough to bother=20
even writing to them about.

It's your computer - use it.  My comment about the compiler not caring was =
to=20
point at the fact that the information does not change depending on=20
re-formatting.  So reformat it, by all means.

But everyone else should reformat it to your specifications...?

Why?  Who cares?  Have your faithful hunchbacked digital assistant reformat=
 it=20
without anyone having to think about it.  Not even you.

> My project, my rules as they say.

Your choice - your responsibility.  Stop laying it on other people.  How's=
=20
that?

Have your computer take care of it - you can read it any way you like it. =
=20
That's what the silly things are for.  Join the computer age and quit wasti=
ng=20
time.

Is it clearer this time?  Telling other people to accommodate your personal=
=20
choices that you could handle with about 0.0000003 cents of electricity is=
=20
ridiculous.

It's 2005, for heaven's sake!

What in the world do you think computers are for?!!?

Sorry to bludgeon you with it, but your brain armor seems kinda thick there=
=2E =20
8-)

wtf?

And I'm a Software Quality Assurance Analyst for a living, mate, for the la=
st=20
15 years.  Yes, I know how to write bugs.  But what I said isn't about bugs=
,=20
it's about asking other people to take care of something your computer can =
do=20
in the time it takes me to type the 'e' at the end of 'sentence' - format t=
he=20
code any way you like.

I'm sorry, but I'm close to falling over laughing - this is so...Middle Age=
s,=20
so... Kafkesque.  You're a programmer, right?  Then, you must have a=20
computer...right?  Can't it format code to your heart's content?

This isn't about bugs.  It's about misplaced world views.

Sorry, mate, I've been chuckling over this one all day.  Should we all sit =
in =20
a particular posture or wear special clothes when we write to you, too?

8-)

I check in my code, which triggers a build, which triggers the test suite,=
=20
which triggers a web page with status (and may or may not trigger emails th=
at=20
"<insert programmer's name here> has broken the build").  I mostly work on =
my=20
own code, so I haven't put a checkout trigger to format it the way I like i=
t=20
=2D I just press the button (Ctrl-Shift-F) on the occasion I need to work o=
n=20
someone else's code.

Or mine after they have reformatted it to their liking (those bastards!).

Hey, the computer is turned on and eating electricity anyway - it might as=
=20
well do some useful work for all I give it.

Sorry.  I tried to be Politically Correct and sensitive and diplomatic with=
 my=20
first message.  I guess I'm just not any good at diplomacy...

Sheesh,
Bret
8-)