[ltp] Alien Forces? Electro-Magnetic fields? My Thinkpad T42 is possessed.

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:26:18 -0400

FWIW
I have had alien forces take take root in the memory area.
Try reseating your memory chips.
If you are lucky enough to have two of them try swapping them
around to different positions, each one alone in each position etc.
Some distros, Fedora core for example let you boot up from disk
1 into memtest86 which should run for long periods of time and
never show an error.

Not too long ago I was installing memory in one of my 390x
boxes when it displayed similar  problems to what you are having.
I swapped the chips around and each one would pass the
memory test but seem to fail when they were used together.
I then tried "one last swap" and the memory test ran for hours with
no errors.
Being a natural born glutton for punishment I swapped the chips
around again.

I think that all of this memory swapping must have annoyed the aliens
enough to leave because the box has been completely dependable ever since.

Go figure and good luck.
At the very least, its worth a try.
...Bert