[ltp] more /dev/thinkpad

Tom Adelstein linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:31:44 -0500

On 7/17/05, honey@gneek.com <honey@gneek.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Tom Adelstein wrote:
>=20
> > On 7/17/05, honey@gneek.com <honey@gneek.com> wrote:
> >> In the meantime, I'm just playing with the spec file to build an RPM
> >> for it from Dag Wieers' RPM, which is quite outdated and for kernel
> >> 2.4. It looks like I have it at least building now, but it needs a
> >> little tweaking.  If anyone's interested, I'll send back my spec file
> >> to Dag, and I guess he'll include an updated RPM soon.  Or if you're
> >> ok for building your own RPM from a spec file (it'll need rebuilding
> >> for each new kernel) I could send it to anyone, if wanted.
> >
> > That would be a great service. I would be very grateful. Also, I'm
> > guessing but the Thinkpad seems to be a very popular choice.
>=20
> Happy to if it's of help and people don't mind build from spec files
> for now.  To be honest, I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what
> you all want tpctl/configure-thinkpad for!  Being an ACPI user, a lot
> of the functions are invalid for me anyway, being APM-based.  I've
> never really seen what it's useful for.
> --

What for?

OK. I have enough of tpctl working to know it turns on the feature set
of the Thinkpad that I got with Windows. I'm also using the buttons
and the on screen display which are separate but contribute to the
whole Thinkpad experience. It's nice to be able to change the
brightness, turn off the screen, etc.

Do I need it? No. I don't need it, but I'm going to the middle East
next week to keynote a conference and demonstrate how to build
pre-configured Linux computers. I also want to demonstrate the
Thinkpad with the GUI tools and the full functionality.

I'm attempting to help people in the region build up their own IT
industry and use GNU/Linux, free software and open source software.

Will I use the features and the machine in the future? Yes.  For
similar reasons and because I haven't used a laptop in a couple of
years and I need to get back up to speed on what's happening in the
laptop projects.

This work of yours, it really helps.=20

Cheers!