[ltp] Re: ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:32:31 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Volker Braun wrote:

> When you load the radeon module, does it switch resolutions on the
> console? On my T41 it automatically switches to the LCD resolution. That
> way you'll know if it loads successfully.

Yes, it definitely uses radeonfb, Volker - as you say, it switches to
the LCD resolution (1400x1050 in my case).  But what I need is to use
radeonfb and switch to a lower resolution - 1024x768 - for a
fbsplash-compatible swsusp2.  I've been told (haven't looked or asked
the devs yet - some are away at symposiums) that there's a
fundamental limit on resolutions fbsplash can handle, rather than it
just being a case of me creating new images.

> Whats the battery drain with radeonfb? The battery script's upper limit is
> a bit low, so on some models it claims that there is a problem even if it
> suspends correctly.

The sleep.sh indicates my drain problem disappears when radeonfb is
really loaded and the patch forced.  I meant to report this to the
bugzilla I think you raised on OSDL for my model to be whitelisted
once I'd sorted out this problem (else I can't actually use the fix),
but it's here if it's useful: T40 237392G.  Or is there somewhere else
I should report it?  Again reiterating that this is the patch supplied
with the Fedora Core 4 kernel, which must be the same - it works.

My problem remains that I can't make radeonfb use resolutions other
than the LCD native one, and it's documented everywhere that I should
be able to.  I'm wondering if it's because it's compiled as a kernel
module in Fedora, and I'm putting it into the initrd with mkinitrd
--preload=radeonfb?  Although I can't see why.

Honey