[ltp] T43, cpu temperature and control of fan speed

Florian Trippel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:32:41 +0200

------=_Part_1599_31338587.1121718761509

I do have the same temp. values. When playing warcraft 3 they rise to 92 C.=
=20
I brought my tp to my local support centre and they asserted me that a=20
temperature that high is withing the limits of the pentium m cpu - the exac=
t=20
upper limit is 94 C. And when it reaches 92 or more it really boosts the=20
fan. So at 87 C I would no longer mind. I do have the assertion that=20
everything is in order and if sth. should be damaged they pay :-). You=20
should get a similar notice from your ibm support just in case they forgot=
=20
to install sth. just like cooling paste, so you can hold them responsible=
=20
for everything! Also I would not use anything under unix/linux which might=
=20
eventually disable bios controlled fan speed - that would certaily be=20
regarded as an interrup in the system's procedure and you can be held=20
responsible then. So if you do not want to use native ibm software you are=
=20
running a risk. I do have linux running in vmware under windows, that way I=
=20
use the software by ibm so nothing can go wrong and it is not that much=20
performance loss.

------=_Part_1599_31338587.1121718761509

I do have the same temp. values. When playing warcraft 3 they rise to
92 C. I brought my tp to my local support centre and they asserted me
that a temperature that high is withing the limits of the pentium m cpu
- the exact upper limit is 94 C. And when it reaches 92 or more it
really boosts the fan. So at 87 C I would no longer mind. I do have the
assertion that everything is in order and if sth. should be damaged
they pay :-). You should get a similar notice from your ibm support
just in case they forgot to install sth. just like cooling paste, so
you can hold them responsible for everything! Also I would not use
anything under unix/linux which might eventually disable bios
controlled fan speed - that would certaily be regarded as an interrup
in the system's procedure and you can be held responsible then. So if
you do not want to use native ibm software you are running a risk. I do
have linux running in vmware under windows, that way I use the software
by ibm so nothing can go wrong and it is not that much performance loss.<br=

------=_Part_1599_31338587.1121718761509--