[ltp] A22p - 2.6 kernel with trackpoint,modem and pc speaker?

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:55:48 +0100 (BST)

Dear All,

I'm back on this list again, after a year-long hiatus. It seems time to
upgrade my A22p from Mandrake 9.1/kernel 2.4 to 10.2/kernel 2.6, and at
the same time, to update this webpage:
http://www.richard.neill.hemscott.net/a22p-mdk9-1.html
I wondered whether I might ask your help with a few kernel-related
things:

I'd like to use 2.6 on this, since 2.4 is clearly deprecated, and 2.6 has
better performance, udev, drivers for external devices (firewire, wifi),
encryption. However, some things appear not to work:

1)The trackpoint. It works fine in low-sensitivity mode, but I can't get
tp4d to install to change the settings to high-sensitivity. I found this
page, but I don't really understand it!
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/

2)The ltmodem driver. I used  http://ltmodem.heby.de/ last time, but
there are no binary packages for the newer kernels.

3)The pc-speaker. Is there any reason why the system bell doesn't work in
newer versions of Mandrake? Instead of beeping the system bell, we now get
a beep.wav played through the soundcard, complete with a 1/2 second delay.
But the gnubeep prgram can still access the pc-speaker.

4)APM appears to have totally vanished from the mandrake kernels, even
when booted with "ACPI=none". However, this laptop uses APM. Do I need to
recompile it?

I'm sure all these problems can be solved, but I wondered whether anyone
here has already solved them? Or can anyone tell me definitively that I
should just stick to kernel 2.4 ?

Thanks very much for your help,

Regard

Richard