[ltp] T41 not entering BIOS

Shakthi Kannan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I opened up my T41, stepping through with the manual.
Excellent documentation.

I removed the power adapter, laptop battery, cdrom
drive, hard disk, keyboard, palm rest and finally the
backup battery (CMOS?). Left it like that for about
1/2 hour. I then put everything back properly, and on
bootup, after the IBM logo image, I get two error
messages:

0271 - reset date and time
0176 - system has been tampered    :-p

So, taking out the CMOS battery has had some effect.
Do you think I should remove the CMOS battery, and
keep it aside for >24 hours and see if it helps?

The solution to error code 0176 in the manual says we
ought to replace the system board.

Any suggestions is appreciated,

Thanks,

K Shakthi

P.S.: It has been a good learning experience so far.
Took some good pictures of the dismantled laptop and
FRUs :)

--
proudly anti-micro$oft