[ltp] T42 and Debian Sarge

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:32:41 +0300

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:56:16AM -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> Wow, it discovered everything and it "just worked?"  That's amazing.  I m=
ay
> have to look more into Ubuntu.

I run Ubuntu Hoary on T42 and love it.  Everything works out of the box:
wireless, accelerated 3D in X, sound, CPU frequency scaling, etc.  The
only thing that I had to do manually was to enable ACPI suspend (by
uncommenting the first line in /etc/default/acpi-support).

Problems that I still have:
 - External VGA output is all "wobbly" (hardware problem?)
 - Excessive battery drain during ACPI suspend -- the laptop dies if I
   leave it suspended for ~11 hours.  I haven't yet tried the radeonfb
   patch that ought to solve this.
 - Keyboard goes crazy if I press a key too early while the laptop is
   still resuming from suspend (2.6.12 kernel fixes this, but breaks
   suspend somewhat)

> >From a user/administrator standpoint, what's different between ubuntu and
> debian?  Is it anything that I'll notice?

I doubt it.  One possible difference: Ubuntu doesn't set the root
password by default, and invites you to use sudo -- but then I used sudo
instead of su in Debian for ages already.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming instead of
watching television.
                -- Cal Keegan

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/--